C.S. Lewis stated, “aim at Heaven, and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you will get neither.” It may feel increasingly difficult to ‘aim at heaven’ when we have been drawn into watching, reading and listening to devasting news around the world regarding the effects of COVID-19. It can be difficult to have an eternal perspective and follow the Apostle Paul’s words, ‘you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above.” Colossians 3:1
But the resurrection gives hope and prayer is powerful. Prayer can help us stay focused on eternity and prayer can make a difference. Please join me as we pray together for the needs around the world. Lord hear our prayer:
- For the church, struggling with faith in the midst of global suffering: God, we believe in your willingness to heal and your power to do so. Help our unbelief.
- For those who have turned to faith in Jesus for the very first time during this pandemic: God, help our new brothers and sisters grow in the grace and knowledge of our Saviour.
- For those who don’t know Jesus yet but find their hearts stirred by spiritual curiosities and eternal longings: God, in your kindness, lead many to repentance and obedient faith in your Son.
- For first responders and frontline health care workers, especially in epicenters of infection: God, reinforce their ranks and strengthen them with supernatural energy.
- For companies with the ability (and the mandate) to manufacture much needed protective equipment for our frontline health care workers: God, establish the work of their hands.
- For transit workers, police officers, and other public servants working tirelessly, often without adequate protection: God, give them stamina every day and keep them from falling ill.
- For nursing homes, rehabilitation centers and other long-term care facilities: God, encourage the lonely residents and strengthen the staff members who help them. Prevent further spread of infection, and comfort families who can no longer visit their loved ones.
- For the incarcerated, who are particularly vulnerable to the spread of this virus: God, give wisdom to prison officials. Protect inmates and staff from both violence and illness. Deliver them all from fear.
- For women and children in abusive situations: God, restrain those who commit harm. Provide protection and rescue for victims and comfort them in their vulnerability.
- For countries in the developing world: God, contain the spread of infection in our world’s most densely populated and poorest cities. Spare countries already burdened with disease and chronic poor health.
- For Asian Americans in the United States, Africans in China, and other people all over the world subjected to COVID-related racism: God, confront this evil with your swift justice, and deliver our brothers and sisters from cruelty.
- For everyone anxious about the economic future - how they’ll pay for housing, food and essential medicines: God, connect them to sources of help through the church, the government, and the community. Enable them to look toward you for provision.
- For small churches without cash reserves: God, keep their doors open, and urge your people to give generously.
- For educators, forced to adapt curricula to online learning and for students, forced to exercise more autonomy: God, make homes a place of curiosity, inquiry and study. Give special help to children without regular access to the internet and other digital tools.
- For those disappointed by the cancellation of milestone celebrations like graduations, weddings or baby showers: God, comfort them in their disappointments and make it possible for them to gather again with friends and family.
- For expectant mothers, who face the prospect of labour and delivery without the support team they’d planned for: God, deliver them from fear and fill them with joy as they witness new life.
- For women facing unexpected pregnancy in this time of economic crisis: God, help them to find the practical and emotional support they need to keep them from seeking abortions.
- For churches, parachurch ministries, and other Christian organisations doing online evangelism and discipleship: God, bless our imperfect digital efforts and continue to advance the kingdom of Jesus through your people.
- For those dying alone in hospitals and for their loved ones: God, draw near to them and, by your mercy, let them encounter Christ, the friend who never leaves and never forsakes.
- For those involved with politics at every level: God, help our leaders to work collaboratively and communicate efficiently, setting aside self-interest for the common good.
(Pollock Michel, Jen., Christianity Today, 20 More Prayers to Pray as We Approach the Pandemic’s Peak, April 15, 2020)
Blessings, Pastor Michele
If you are unable to be online at the time of our worship services, you can watch our them later in the day, again via our website, app or Facebook page. Don't forget that you can still give your offering online via the giving page of our website, or by using the QR code below. You can also send us a cheque, made payable to "Union Church" or "Friends of Hong Kong Charities, Inc" if you are a US taxpayer. Please send them to: 18F, Sunlight Tower, 248 Queen's Road East, Wan Chai, Hong Kong.
If you would like to drop anything off for our Mission partners, the Church will be open from Monday to Friday between 12:00PM to 4:00PM. If you need to contact anyone at Union Church please call 6225 5042.
Please check our website and your email for latest news.
Reaching OUT during Covid-19:
HK Church Network for the Poor is coordinating with their partners to source face masks and distribute them to underprivileged families and groups in Tai wai, Central, Kwun Tong, Yau Ma Tei, Tai Kok Tsui, Fanling, Tsim Sha Tsui, Tsuen Wan, Hung Hom. So far, they have received requests for 23,000+ face masks from most deprived districts in HK, and have started to distribute collections to partners. They still need many more. Thanks to support from churches and individual donors, they are sharing more than supplies but also love and hope in Christ. To donate please bring your masks to Union Church. Thank you.
Sons & Daughters are asking for donations of rice, board games and computer monitors. If you can help, please bring them to the Church between 12 - 4pm Monday to Friday. They are also raising funds for Dawn who is a woman in S&Ds Aftercare Program. Last year she decided to leave the sex industry for good and is now preparing to return home. She needs help fundraising. Please support her at: https://gogetfunding.com/
We have THREE options for Wednesday night ReCharge; all 8-9 pm, all online:
The Marriage Course - ONLINE - Tuesdays, from 21 April to 2 June 2020 (7 weeks).
We are excited to announce that the new course videos are now available! It will be the first time we will be using this new brand-new re-imagined series with new teaching content, creative short films, global stories, sofa couples and expert insights. For registration, please click here or contact Joanna Yau.
Online Alpha: Are you asking questions about the meaning or purpose of life? Want to know more about Jesus or Christianity or why we celebrate Easter? Alpha is a low-pressure course where you can ask those questions and engage in conversation, and it can even be done online! If you are interested in a "Zoom" Alpha, contact Monte Peterson for more details.
Union Book Group: Extra time on your hands? Join the book group! We'll meet Tuesday, April 28 at 7:30 to discuss The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion. On Tuesday, May 26, we'll discuss Love Does by Bob Goff. Books available at the Welcome Table. Join us for either or both!
Right Now Media: Looking for ways to nurture your faith in this time? If you haven't tried Right Now Media, this is a good chance! A library of online Bible Studies, speakers and family videos. Get free access here: https://www.
Pastoral Care Support, if you are looking for some support and prayer please let our staff know. Contact Ministry leaders directly or admin at: or call 6225 5042.
Meeting as a small group in this time is challenging, but the support from each other is more important than ever. There ARE online options - please reach out if you need help figuring this out! If you aren't currently in a group, we encourage you to try it out. There are groups for women, men, couples, day-time, night-time, etc. Interested? Contact Monte Peterson.
Friday Youth Group – April 17
We will be having an online fellowship night with a couple of group based games and activities
What: Online Fellowship Night
When: Online Meeting at 6PM
Details: Zoom Link will be provided.
Sunday Discussion – April 19. Youth are invited to join a small group discussion on the Sunday sermon at 12:30 on Sunday. Zoom link will be provided.
A Stephen Minister can help. Stephen Ministers are members of our congregation who listen, care, encourage, and provide emotional and spiritual support to people going through a crisis or a difficult time. Please contact Pastor Michele if we can help ( )
Fertility & Pregnancy/Infant Loss Support Group - Struggling and could use some fellowship, friendship and support? Contact Sonia Lee.
Family in Need (FIN)
If you would like to help support our family in need ministry, which helps people monthly with basic needs, please mark your envelope "FIN".
"Resurrection: Fear with great Joy! " Pastor Michele.