Prayer Until Something Happens - this week's prayer items...
- “Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” (Matthew 11:29) Lord, teach us to be humble as we follow in your footsteps. Renew a right spirit within us. As we learn to trust in you and give ourselves fully to you, show us how we will find the rest and peace that we all seek.
- “But this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” (Lamentations 3:21-23) Heavenly Father we hold onto your faithfulness as we intercede for our city that is divided, hurting and in anguish. We pray against hateful languages coming out of our mouths and spreading through social media. We pray that even in high-pressure circumstances, we will be able to act with restraint and treat others with respect and compassion. We pray that the followers of Christ will exhibit Christ-likeness and will be known to be peacemakers under all circumstances, bringing your grace and your healing power to those around us. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen
- "We see with fear and trembling our aching world in need, confessing to each other our wastefulness and greed. May we with steadfast caring the hungry children feed. We are called to follow Jesus and let God’s justice flow through us.” (Jim Strathdee, a hymn) Father, heal us, and bring healing to the world through us in Jesus’ name. Amen
- “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly; teach and admonish one another in all wisdom.” (Colossians 3:16) God of wisdom, help us to centre our communities of faith around your Word. Give our leaders discernment on how to shepherd those in sorrow, fear and confusion, and guide us all into greater awareness of your presence. Give us all the faith to follow your wise leading.
- "Come now, O Prince of peace, make us one body. Come, O Lord Jesus, reconcile your people. Come now and set us free, O God, our Saviour. Come, O Lord Jesus, reconcile all nations.” (Geonyong Lee, A hymn) Heavenly Father, we pray for our church family. Let us not follow the ways of the world that lead to disunity, but rather lead us to the way of Jesus. May we learn to love one another as ourselves, and care for the least of those among us. Teach us how to reach out to and disciple the young people in the city so they can be supported in their walk with you and fulfilling your unique calling for their lives.
- Lord we thank you for establishing and sustaining Union Church. As many returns from summer break, we pray that they will feel welcomed back and get plugged back into this community of faith. We pray for the Wednesday Prayer and Discernment Group, we pray that you will call brothers and sisters to join as we discern your will for our church going forward. We pray for “Moms in Prayer” on “Bless Our Schools Sunday” (15 September), and pray for your blessing over our congregation members who are students, teachers, school staff or education leaders. We pray for the various ministries taking place during the week, for Recharge and the Marriage Course, and for the two groups meeting on Tuesday lunchtime for Bible studies, we ask that you will draw us close to you as we gather to worship you and learn from your Word. We also lift up the various ministry needs to you at Union Church (Young Adults Director, Assistant Youth Director, Creche Coordinator) and Sunday School teachers, we pray for the right people to be called to join us in our service of you and your people. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen
Do you have a prayer request? Download the Union Church App and submit it online. Within minutes dozens and dozens of intercessors will be praying for you. To join the Union Church Prayer Chat please email Charles Caldwell at